Cooking bones helps to break down the collagen, which extracts gelatin. Gelatin contains many essential amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein.
Bone marrow is rich in other nutrients such as:
- Vitamin A
- Fatty Acids
- Vitamin K
How can bone broth help improve your dog’s health?
Joints can become inflamed and collagen can break down with repeat use. Active dogs and certain breeds (German shepherds, retrievers, dachshunds, mastiffs) are more susceptible to joint issues.
Supplementing with gelatin increases the amount of collagen in the tissues. This can protect joints from more damage. Bone broth is easily digestible and a natural source of gelatin.
It is also rich in glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid. These substances help to protect the joint. Supplementation through bone broth can help to reduce inflammation, arthritis, and joint pain.
Bone broth is high in glutamine, an amino acid which can help to heal the intestinal barrier in the gut.
Diet, stress, and bacterial overgrowth can irritate the gut mucosa by causing a leaky gut. Leaky gut syndrome is an irritation of the gut mucosal lining. This leads to a decrease absorption of vital nutrients.
Bone broth contains gelatin, which can help to repair the irritation in the gut. It can decrease inflammation and increase the absorption of vital nutrients.
Your dog’s body is constantly under attack. Exposure to pesticides and chemicals causes the liver to work overtime. The liver handles removal of unwanted toxins from the body.
Liver function is supported by the essential amino acid, glycine. Since bone broth contains glycine, it helps to promote healthy liver activity.
If you have a pup that likes to snack between meals, he may need to change his diet. Adding bone broth, which is high in protein, helps your dog stay fuller longer. For those dogs who may need to shed a few pounds, bone broth can curb unnecessary snacking and lead to weight loss.
For those dogs who have trouble sleeping through the night, adding bone broth may help. Bone broth is high in glycine, which helps to increase serotonin and melatonin. This leads to a deeper and more restful sleep.
Bone broth is not only healthy but is easy to make. All you need are the following:
- 3-4 lbs bone (beef, chicken, or pork)
- 2-4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (helps to extract the amino acids from bones)
- Filtered water
- Any extras like celery, carrots, or ginger
- Put bones in Instapot
- Add filtered water until bones are covered
- Add apple cider vinegar
- Add any extras (I add celery, which helps to detox the liver, and ginger, an anti-inflammatory)
- Put lid on Instapot, making sure the vent is sealed
- Set timer to 240 minutes on the manual setting
- When done, let the broth cool for 1-2 hours in frig
- Skim fat layer off and discard
- Make broth ice cubes by putting broth into silicone molds and freezing
- Add a defrosted cube to your dog’s daily meals
Bone broth suggested serving size for pets:
- under 20 pounds, serve them 1 ounce a day
- between 20-40 pounds, serve them 2 ounces a day
- between 50-80 pounds, feed them 4 ounces a day
- 80+ pounds, feed them 6 ounces a day