Although not an issue for Cooper, anxiety around holidays or events that involve fireworks can be an issue for our furbabies. What are a few ways to calm down our pets and ease their stressful situation?
- Thunder Shirts for pets, which applies consistent and equal pressure to the canine, which helps to create a calming effect.
- Play classical music but at a gentle volume to help reduce stress.
- Create a safe space for the pet, which may be a small, enclosed space like a closet. Small, comfortable spaces, that a pet can claim as their own, can be stress relieving especially if the area has a pet bed, a sheet or blanket, and a few of their familiar stuffed animals or toys. Try to find a space in the middle of the house, farther away from windows, which will help to reduce disruptive, unfamiliar sounds.
- Exercise pet during the day in hopes that pet will be “too tired to care” during the evening.
- When all else fails, try cannabis! You heard correctly! Cannabis can calm nerves of our canine friends, and it is available in liquid, capsules, and as biscuits.